Super pair crested George II silver salvers London 1735 Francis Pages Middle Temple
This superb pair of crested George II Bath bordered salvers were made in London in 1735 by Francis Pages and measures 6.5 inches in dia and stand on 3 stepped footed legs each with a large central crest of a lamb denoting The Honourable Society of the Middle Temple. They are fully and clearly hallmarked to the backs and are in excellent condition with a lovely colour and feel to them and weigh in at 15.5 ounces or 482 grams.
The Crest/Device of The Honourable Society of the Middle Temple
The crest as engraved upon this pair of George II Silver Bath Bordered Waiters by Francis Pages, hallmarked London 1735 is undoubtedly that of The Honourable Society of the Middle Temple. This crest may be blazoned as follows:
Crest/Device: A paschal lamb or carrying a banner charged with cross gules
This crest/device has long been used with or without the crest wreath by The Honourable Society of the Middle Temple. Arms to the Middle Temple were only confirmed to the Inn by the Kings of Arms in 1949. The Middle Temple is one of the ancient Inns of Court (the others being the Inner Temple, Lincoln’s Inn and Gray’s Inn). These Inn’s train student barristers and admit them to the English bar in order to practice as barristers before the courts in England and Wales. The paschal lamb with its flag (or ‘the lamb and flag’) is found throughout the precincts of the Middle Temple. The one illustrated above is located in Middle Temple Hall. Undoubtedly, these waiters were at one time part of the Inn’s collection of plate. Perhaps, at some time in the past they were sold off or given as gifts to senior members of the Inn.